- About us
- Trade and business
- Government authorities
- E-government applications via single sign-onGerman text
- Other online applications without single sign-onGerman text
- What are my personal goals?
- Do my activities and the project have the acceptance and support of my immediate family and friends?
- What technical capabilities and qualifications do I bring to the enterprise?
- Do I already have a business licence?
- Is there a market for my idea?
- Am I willing to work with partners?
- Which legal structure is appropriate in consideration of the foregoing?
- Do I need employees?
- Where will this business be located?
- What investments will be needed?
- What other (running) costs will be incurred?
- How will investors' expectations and operational costs be met?
- Are there any grants and government support for my project?
- What is the minimum turnover needed?
- Do I need facility permits from the authorities?
- What record keeping is required and/or important for my business?
- Do I need IT infrastructure?
- Will my dream project be profitable?
- What advice centres are there?
PLEASE NOTE At the beginning of your business activity you should definitely seek advice for your company's founding structure, financing and legal issues! The Austrian Federal Economic Chambers [Wirtschaftskammern der Bundesländer] offer consultations and starting up workshops. Furthermore, entrepreneurs can use the service "Freie Lokale" provided by the Vienna Federal Economic Chamber in order to find an adequate business office.
- Service "Establishing a Business" of the Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs [Service "Unternehmensgründung" des Bundesministerium für Digitalisierung und Wirtschaftsstandort - BMDW]
- Service for Founders of the Austrian Federal Economic Chambers [Gründer-Service der Wirtschaftskammern Österreichs - WKO]
- Austrian Business Agency − Invest in Austria: The national investment promotion company is the first point of contact for foreign companies aiming to establish their own business in Austria.
- Start-up Exchange [Nachfolgebörse der Wirtschaftskammer Österreich] of the Austrian Chambers of Commerce
- Service Centre Business Offices of the Vienna Federal Economic Chamber [ServiceCenter Geschäftslokale der Wirtschaftskammer Wien]
- Founders Service for handicapped people [Arbeitsassistenz der Wien Work integrative Betriebe und AusbildungsgmbH – GründerInnenberatung für Menschen mit Behinderungen]
Choosing the proper legal structure in the starting-up process is crucial. The legal structure depends foremost on the
- Number of participants (one or more entrepreneurs)
- Scope of the enterprise
- Type of financing
- Type and extent of the liabilities, etc.
The structures of sole proprietorship and those of partnerships like limited partnership or private limited company etc. have pros and cons, and these should be weighed. You should take advice from experts or your tax advisor!
TIP You can find detailed information on the choice of the legal structure
- On the relevant web pages of the Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs and
- On the relevant web pages of the Business Start-up Service [Gründer-Service] of the Austrian Federal Economic Chambers (WKO)
For the first stage in starting-up a business or a company, special places have been set up where experienced, woman-specific consultation for women founders and entrepreneurs is offered and where business-minded women are supported when entering self-employment.
Addresses and Links
- Women’s Business Centre [Business Frauen Center (bfc) – Das Netzwerk für Unternehmerinnen]
- Woman & Work in Salzburg [Frau & Arbeit in Salzburg]
- Mingo – A Start-Up Initiative by the City of Vienna [Mingo – Die Start-up-Initiative der Stadt Wien]
- Women Founders' Portal of the Austrian Federal Economic Chambers [Unternehmerinnenportal der Wirtschaftskammer Österreich]
Last update: 08.01.2018Approved by:
- USP Editorial Staff