General driving ban at night, at weekends and on official holidays
Info PLEASE NOTE
The following vehicles may not be driven on Saturdays between 3.00 p.m. and midnight, or on Sundays and official holidays between midnight and 10.00 p.m.:
- HGVs with trailers, if the HGV or the trailer has a maximum gross vehicle weight of over 3.5 tonnes
- HGVs, articulated lorries and self-propelled machinery with a maximum gross vehicle weight of over 7.5 tonnes
There is also a general ban on driving heavy goods vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight of over 7.5 tonnes between 10.00 p.m. and 5.00 a.m. on any day of the week. There are exceptions to this driving ban, for example for journeys made by low-noise heavy goods vehicles carrying confirmation of low-noise status (in accordance with section 8b paragraph 4 of the KDV 1967). However, such vehicles may be driven no faster than 60 km/h during this period.
In addition to these vehicle bans, which always apply, additional bans may be introduced at other times, for example during peak holiday travel periods.
Online guides and calculators
- driving ban (→ wkoratgeber.at)German text
- monitoring device (→ wkoratgeber.at)German text
- /bus driver basic qualifications and training (→ wkoratgeber.at)German text