EEA Certificates – Issue

General information

Nationals of a Member State of the EU or of a Contracting Party of the EEA, as well as companies established in Austria, who/which intend to provide services in a Member State of the EU or a Contracting Party of the EEA, or intend to become established there, need an EEA certificate for this purpose.

This certificate is issued for submission to the competent authority of another EEA Contracting Party and certifies

  • for the purpose of providing services in another Member State of the EU/EEA, that the individual/company is legally established in Austria and holds the relevant trade licence(s),
  • for the purpose of becoming established and providing services in another Member State of the EU/EEA, that the individual/company has the relevant training or qualification background in Austria and pursues a professional activity in a self-employed or employed capacity in a trade in Austria.


Business owners from EU-countries need to get their EEA-certification from their respective home country.


No special deadlines need be observed

Competent authority

Trade authority locally competent for the business location or place of residence in question:


The request for an EEA certificate may be submitted – either with or without the use of an official form – personally, in writing or (partially) by electronic means.

An informal request shall include the following information:

  • First and last name, address, date and place of birth, nationality, for companies the name of the firm and Companies Register number of the requesting party
  • Information on training, type and extent of relevant professional and commercial activities

Required documents

  • Official ID document
  • Certificates of training and/or qualifications, such as:
    • Confirmation of the social insurer on employment status as employee
    • Employment references for employees (in leading position where applicable)
    • Official decision on having been appointed managing director under trade law
  • Supporting documents concerning professional training:
    • School certificates (academic secondary schools, technical or vocational schools)
    • Certificate of completed apprenticeship, master craftsman’s diploma
    • Diploma certificates

Costs and fees

For the application, the enclosures and the certificate no fees and administrative charges of the federation arise (see section 333a of the Gewerbeordnung).

Legal bases

Section 373h of the Gewerbeordnung 1994 (GewO 1994)

Last update: 6 February 2023

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Labour and Economy

Rate this page and help us to improve.