Industrial liability insurance


In general, these rules also apply to EU citizens and entrepreneurs from EU Member States in Austria.

Qualified persons must take out liability insurance for personal injuries, material damages and financial losses and/or errors and omissions insurance in order to practice certain professions in Austria:

  • builders;
  • property trustees;
  • commercial investment advisers;
  • insurance brokerage;
  • passenger transport using trailers.

The minimum insured sums vary and are, in some cases, dependent on turnover. The trade authority will be forced to withdraw the trade licence if insurance is not taken out or lapses. Further information on business in Austria can also be found at USP.gv.at.

Further links

Legal basis

Sections 87, 99 , 117 , 136a , 137c and Section 156 of the Gewerbeordnung 1994 (GewO)

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 18 January 2021

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs

Rate this page and help us to improve.