Special allied healthcare professions – Declaration of services

General information

If the service provider (physiotherapy service, medical-technical laboratory service, radiological-technical service, dietary service and nutritional-medical counselling service, occupational therapy service, logopaedic-phoniatric-audiological service and orthoptic service) first moves from one Member State to Austria in order to provide services, he must inform the governor of the federal state, where the services will be provided, in a written declaration in advance.

EU Member States alternatively enable a holder of a diploma in physiotherapy to inform the competent authority through European Professional Card – EPC ( EC).


Evidence of professional qualification and proof of the nationality of a Member State of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

Competent authority

Governor of the federal state, where the services will be provided


The written declaration can be submitted in person, by post or by e-mail with an electronic signature. For holders of a diploma in physiotherapy, there is also the option to inform the competent authority through an online tool (European Professional Card).

Preliminary proceedings: Should the need arise there will be an aptitude test in an Austrian training institution before the authorization can be granted

Length of proceedings: up to two months.

Appeals may be submitted to the Governor of the federal state, where the services will be provided, in writing within four weeks after receiving the decision.

Required documents

  • Proof of the nationality of the service provider
  • Attestation certifying that the holder is legally established in a Member State for the purpose of pursuing the activities concerned and that he/she is not prohibited from practising, even temporarily, at the moment of delivering the attestation
  • Evidence of professional qualifications
  • Declaration about the applicant’s knowledge of the German language necessary for practising the Profession

All documents and certificates (except the proof of the nationality) must be submitted in German or English, either as an original or as a copy authenticated by a court, a notary public or a municipal authority. Only the translations by a certified court translator are accepted.

Please note

Translations from Hungary are accepted only, if they are issued by Országos Fordító és Forditáshitelesítö Iroda (OFFI).

Non authenticated copies or untranslated documents are not accepted. After processing, all original documents will be returned immediately.

Costs and fees

There will be administration fees for written declarations.

Further information

This application is for:

  • Physiotherapists
  • Biomedical analysts
  • Radiological technologists
  • Dieticians
  • Occupational therapists
  • Speech therapists/logopedists
  • Orthoptists

Legal bases

Last update: 1 January 2024

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection