Healthcare Psychologists/Clinical Psychologists – Recognition
table of content
The Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is the competent authority for the recognition of diplomas in healthcare psychology and clinical psychology acquired in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) or in Switzerland. For professional authorization as healthcare psychologist or clinical psychologist the registration in the professional list (Liste der Gesundheitspsychologinnen und Gesundheitspsychologen, Liste der Klinischen Psychologinnen und Klinischen Psychologen) is required. Working in Austria without registration in the professional list or employing such persons is an administrative offence, punishable by a fine. It may also be subject to personal liability consequences under criminal and civil law.
Diploma in healthcare psychology or clinical psychology, issued in an EU or EEA member state or in Switzerland
Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection
- Declaration: may be submitted by post or by electronic means
- Preliminary proceedings: A validation of the diploma is performed by an official or external expert. In case of significant differences between the foreign qualification and the Austrian qualification, recognition may be granted only on the basis of compensation measures (either completion of adaptation training or an aptitude test in an Austrian training institution). The procedure is completed by formal decision. Complaint may be referred against the decision to the administrative court.
- Length of proceedings: The procedure can be expected to take four months after presentation of the complete documents.
- Legal remedy: A complaint against the decision may be submitted to the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection in writing within four weeks from the delivery of the decision, which must be directed to the responsible administrative tribunal. The complaint must designate the decision as well as the Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection. Furthermore, the reasons on which the allegation of illegality is based must be set out. The complaint must also contain the request as well as information on timeliness.
- Curriculum vitae
- Austrian residence permit or Austrian postal address with an authorised recipient for formal delivery (with authorisation)
- Evidence of professional qualification confirming an officially recognized and successfully completed education and training in healthcare psychology or clinical psychology in a EU or EEA member state or in Switzerland
- Evidence of education and training in theory and practice (curricula, Diploma Supplement, qualification of teachers) with proof of passed lessons or credits, learning outcomes or competences as well as contents of practical training
- Where applicable evidence of further training or continuing education
- Where applicable evidence of professional experience
- Description of field of activities according to legal definition or content-related
- Attestation certifying that the applicant is legally established in a Member State for the purpose of pursuing the activities concerned and that she/he is not prohibited from practising, even temporarily, at the moment of delivering the Attestation
All documents and certificates must be submitted in German language as a copy authenticated by a court, a notary public or a municipal authority. Only translations by a certified court translator may be accepted.
Non authenticated copies or untranslated documents are not accepted.
Administration fees will amount to approximately 250 to 500 Euro. Fees have to be paid after completion of the procedure.
This application is for the profession of:
- Healthcare psychologist
- Clinical psychologist
No expert information is available.
responsible for content: Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection