Dental Assistance – Qualifications – Recognition
table of content
The Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection is the competent authority for the recognition of equivalence of a diploma acquired in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for dental assistance.
Working in Austria without the state recognition or employing such persons, is an administrative offence, punishable by a fine. It may also be subject to personal liability consequences under criminal and civil law.
Diploma for dental assistance, issued on the basis of a state certified training. Diploma have to be issued by the Government of an EEA-State or of Switzerland.
Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection
A written application can be submitted in person, by post or by e-mail with an electronic signature.
In case of significant differences between the national qualification and the Austrian qualification, recognition can be granted only on the basis of compensation measures (either completion of adaptation training or an aptitude test in an Austrian training institution). The process can be expected to take four months.
Appeals may be submitted to the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection in writing within four weeks after receiving the decision.
- Curriculum vitae
- Austrian residence permit or Austrian postal address with an authorised recipient for formal delivery (written authorisation!)
- Formal qualification confirming officially recognized and successfully completed training in an EU Member State, EEA-State or in Switzerland
- Diploma supplement/syllabus stating the ECTS credit value for each course
- Attestation certifying that the applicant is legally established in a Member State for the purpose of pursuing the activities concerned and that he/she is not prohibited from practising, even temporarily, at the moment of delivering the attestation
- Further education (if possible/available)
- If possible/available proof of professional experience
- Police clearance certificate from the country of origin, issued within the last three months. Please note: Police clearance certificates from Croatia and Slovenia issued by Ministry of Justice only. An "Austrian Criminal Record Certificate" is only accepted in connection with the police clearance from the country of origin.
- Medical certificate (issued by a general practitioner within the last three months) confirming that the applicant fulfills all health requirements for the profession
- In case the applicant's name differs from the name shown on the diploma or on the certificate, a wedding or divorce certificate or any other official document proving the change of name must be submitted
- Evidence of citizenship, valid passport or personal identification document (copy)
All documents and certificates must be submitted in German or English, either as an original or as a copy authenticated by a court, a notary public or a municipal authority. Only the translations by a certified court translator are accepted.
Translations from Hungary are accepted only, if they are issued by Országos Fordító és Forditáshitelesítö Iroda (OFFI).
Non authenticated copies or untranslated documents are not accepted. After processing, all original documents will be returned immediately.
Costs and fees
Administration fees are approximately 250 Euro. The fees have to be paid after completion of the procedure.
This application is for:
- Dental assistants
- Prophylaxis assistants
No expert information is available.
Link to form
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection