Closure of a Branch Office
table of content
Cessation of activities in an additional place of business (branch office) must be reported to the competent trade authority.
The reported cessation of activities forms the basis for deleting the entry of this place of business in the Austrian Business Licence Information System (GISA).
This applies to businesses intending to cease activities in an additional place of business (branch office).
In general, these regulations also apply to business owners from EU-countries in Austria.
See General Information
Basically, business activities in a branch office may cease at any time.
The report must be received by the trade authority no later than the day on which business ceases in an additional location.
If the holder of a trade licence fails to report cessation of business in an additional location within the deadline requirement of the trade authority, he/she commits an administrative offence carrying a fine of up to 2,189 Euro.
Trade authority locally competent for the location of the additional place of business:
- District AuthorityGerman text
- in cities with their own municipal law: Municipal AuthorityGerman text
- in Vienna: Municipal District Office or Municipal Department MA 63 (→ City of Vienna)German text depending on the trade concerned.
Cessation of activities in an additional place of business may be reported – either with or without the use of an official form – personally, in writing or by electronic means.
An informal report shall include the following information:
- Name of the holder of the trade licence
- Designation of the trade
- Location of trade as well as location of the additional place of business
- Date as of which the trade activities will be ceased in the additional place of business
No special documents are necessary.
Non-regulated ("free") and regulated trades (including sub-trades):
No fees or taxes are incurred.
There is no expert information available.
- Trade – additional place of business – cessation of business activitiesGerman text
Necessary for online procedure: GISA-number (e.g. 123456/g/06/07 – can be found in the GISA extract and in notifications sent by the trade authority), companies register number or social security number
responsible for content: Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs