Notifying the tax office
table of content
The tax officeGerman text must be informed if a business activity ceases, regardless of the reason.
These rules apply to all entrepreneurs from EU Member States in Austria.
Cessation of trading activities
Within a month of ceasing to trade.
The competent body must be informed that the business has ceased to trade.
- For a natural person who is the sole proprietor of one or more businesses or business premises, that is the tax office of the place of residenceGerman text.
- For a taxpayer who is neither permanently nor ordinarily resident in Austria (whose tax liability is limited), that is the tax office of the place where the business premises are located or, if the business has no premises, the tax officeGerman text of the place where the taxpayer owns real estate. Otherwise the tax officeGerman text of the taxpayer’s last place of residence or the tax office first informed of the tax liability.
Notifications can be made to the Tax Office at the same time as submitting the necessary documentation. This can be done in person, by post, by fax or via FinanzOnline.
- informal letter or
- form Verf25 questionnaire on the cessation of a commercial or professional activity)
- on the death of the entrepreneur: also
No fees or charges are payable.
Sole proprietors retain their income taxGerman text and tax reference after their death. The tax office collects the outstanding tax payments on the date of death at the end of the relevant calendar year. The tax reference is then cancelled and the heirs receive a new tax reference if required.
Any outstanding tax must still be paid to the tax office. Once it has been paid, the tax office will issue registered companies with a clearance certificateGerman text which must be presented when the company is removed from the companies register.
The tax office will repay any credit balance.
- FinanzOnlineGerman text
In the event of disposal of a company or cessation of trading, gains on disposal or cessation must be determined and, in principle, are taxable according to the marginal income tax rate.
The following, alternative, tax advantages are available:
allowance of EUR 7 300;
distribution of the gains on disposal over 3 years (if 7 years have elapsed since the start of trading or the last transaction for payment);
reduced tax rate (if 7 years have elapsed since the start of trading or the last transaction for payment and on one of the following grounds: the taxpayer has died, is unable to work because of a physical or mental disability or has reached the age of 60 and is no longer working).
If the trading ceases and for this reason (parts of) buildings are transferred to personal assets, on request, the hidden assets relating thereto are not recorded if the building has been the taxpayer’s main residence until trading ceases and the taxpayer dies or is unable to work because of a physical or mental disability or has reached the age of 60 and is no longer working.
Form Verf25German text (questionnaire for the cessation of a commercial or professional activity)
Finanzonline (→ BMF)German text
Authentication and Signature
In writing: by informal letter or by sending a signed and completed form
Auxiliary and Problemsolving Services
There are no assistance or problem-solving services.
Further service points
- Federal Ministry of Finance
- USP Editorial Staff