Changes of Name
table of content
Natural persons (sole traders) who are not entered in the Companies Register must use their names, inter alia, for any external designation of their place(s) of business, while legal entities (capital companies, associations) and registered commercial partnerships will use the name defined under law or in their articles.
The following changes are to be reported to the competent trade authority:
- Change of name of the holder of the trade licence (unless the change has either been registered in the Central Civil Registry [Zentrales Personenstandsregister] or in the Central Register of Residents [Zentrales Melderegister])
- Change of name of a managing director appointed under trade law (unless the change has either been registered in the Central Civil Registry or in the Central Register of Residents)
- Change of name of legal entities which are not entered in the Companies Register (e.g. associations). CompaniesGerman text entered in Austria’s Companies Register need not report any change of their company’s name to the trade authority. The competent trade authority will be automatically informed of any such changes by the court responsible for entries in the Companies Register.
Changes of name of natural persons that are already registered in the Central Civil Registry or in the Central Register of Residents also do not have to be reported to the trade authority. In this case the Central Register automatically notifies the trade authority.
In the case of associations, the new designation must already be inscribed in the Associations Register.
Any change of name is to be reported within four weeks.
Trade authority locally competent for the business location in question:
- District AuthorityGerman text
- in cities with their own municipal law: Municipal AuthorityGerman text
- in Vienna: Municipal District Office or Municipal Department MA 63 (→ City of Vienna)German text depending on the trade concerned
Change of name may be reported – either with or without the use of an official form – personally, in writing or (partially) by electronic means.
An informal report shall include the following information:
- Old and new name of the holder of the related trade licence or of the managing director appointed under trade law
- Designation of the trade
- Location of trade
The authority will enter the change of name in the Austrian Business Licence Information System (GISA) and mail, upon request, a new extract from the GISA by standard postal service.
If the competent authority can retrieve the necessary data from other registers, it will not be required to submit an extract from the Associations Register.
- For natural persons:
- Supporting documents concerning change of name (e.g. marriage certificate or official decision on change of name)
- For associations:
- Extract from the Associations Register
No fees or taxes are incurred.
There is no expert information available.
Online-procedure (where regionally available):
- Trade – change of name/company designationGerman text
responsible for content: Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs