table of content
Every employed person (fully and partially insured) must be registered with the competent health insurance institution by the employer before starting work.
- the employer must have a contribution account number; if required, this must be requested once (on the occasion of the first employee) and free of charge from the competent health insurance institution, usually via an online formGerman text (no documents required)
- the insured person must have an insurance numberGerman text, or this must have been requested by the time of registration
Employers must register all employees (both fully and partially insured) with the relevant health insurance provider.
If ‘on-the-spot registration’ is allowed, an electronic application must be submitted within seven days of the start of statutory insurance.
They must be registered with the relevant health insurance provider (→ Association of Austrian Social Insurance Institutions)German text.
The application for registration is only valid if it is sent to the health insurance provider via ELDA (→ ÖGK)German text (electronic data exchange with Austrian social insurance providers) in the standard format specified by the Association of Austrian Insurance Providers.
The following information must be provided:
- employer’s data (contribution account number, etc.)
- name of employee
- insurance number or date of birth of the person concerned
- employment start date
- level of insurance cover (full or partial)
- employment sector (manual worker, white-collar worker, etc.)
- occupational pension plan start date
- whether there is a service contract
Applications submitted in other ways, particularly in paper form, by email or by telephone, are not acceptable.
No specific documents are required.
Costs and fees
There are no costs.
Specific requirement: The employee must be given a copy of the full application immediately.
Penalties: An infringement of the registration requirements may be penalised by an additional charge on the contribution or a late registration fine. The District Administrative Authority may impose administrative penalties for offences.
Cancellation: An application submitted in error, for example because the position was unexpectedly not taken up, or another health insurance provider is responsible, must be cancelled.
- Frequently asked questions: Employer (→ ÖGK)German text
- CHECKLIST: First time employer (→ ÖGK)German text
- contact centre for non-registered workers (→ UNDOK)German text
There is no expert information available.
Link to form
The electronic forms required are integrated into ELDA (→ ÖGK)German text or your payroll accounts software.
Request for a contribution accout numberGerman text
Authentication and signature
Entrepreneurs registered with the Business Service Portal (USP) can use ELDA (→ ÖGK)German text and many other online systemsGerman text simply by logging in to the portal. Further information about registering can be found in the guide to registering with the Business Service Portal USP (→ BMDW)German text. One-stop registration with the Business Service Portal USP provides a single point of access to various social insurance services; this is explained in a short film (→ YouTube)German text.
Means of redress or appeal
Assistance and problem-solving services
There are no auxiliary or problemsolving services available.
Further service points
ELDA Competence Center (→ ÖGK)
Responsible for the content: Association of Austrian Social Insurance Institutions