Stationary Waste Treatment Facilities – Simplified Authorisation Procedure
table of content
The establishment, operation or modification of the following waste treatment facilities is subject to a so-called "simplified" authorisation procedure:
- Landfills where exclusively soil excavation and clearance material accumulated from excavation or clearance of primarily natural soil or ground is dumped, provided the total volume of the landfill is less than 100,000 cubic metres
- Incineration or co-incineration facilities for the thermal recycling of non-hazardous wastes, with a thermal capacity of up to 2.8 megawatts
- Other treatment facilities for non-hazardous wastes with a capacity of less than 10,000 tonnes per year (except landfills)
- Treatment facilities for the dismantling of end-of-life vehicles with a capacity of less than 1,000 tonnes per year
- Treatment facilities for the dismantling of electrical and electronic equipment that represents hazardous waste, with a capacity of less than 1,000 tonnes per year
- Storage sites for hazardous wastes with a capacity of less than 1,000 tonnes per year
Also for certain modifications that are subject to authorisation under the additionally applicable provisions or under the construction code of the relevant Federal Province and that do not represent significant change, a simplified authorisation procedure is conducted.
If the facilities to be authorised represent IPPC treatment facilities or Seveso-facilities, the simplified authorisation procedure is not applied!
Enterprises establishing, operating or modifying the above-mentioned waste treatment facilities.
See Description of the Subject Matter.
In good time prior to the establishment or the operation of or to major change to the facilities.
The waste management authority which is locally in charge of the site:
- The Provincial GovernorGerman text
- The Provincial GovernorGerman text may delegate procedures and supervision to the district administrative authority (Bezirksverwaltungsbehörde).
There is no special procedure to be followed.
The following shall be enclosed with the application for authorisation:
- Information about the suitability of the intended site
- Information about the type, purpose, scope and duration of the project
- Land register identification of the property affected by the treatment facilities, indicating the name of the owner and enclosing an extract from the land register (not older than six weeks)
- If the applicant is not himself/herself the owner: Additionally, the written consent of the property owner on whose property the treatment facilities are to be established
- Indication of the name of the owner of any lawfully practised water utilisation
- Description of the operation (including information about the types of waste to be treated, the treatment methods, the capacity, and a list of the machinery and other equipment of the facilities)
- Construction specifications with the required designs and drawings
- Waste management plan
- Description of the anticipated emissions from the treatment facilities and information about the prevention or, if this is not possible, the reduction of emissions
- For facilities serving the incineration or co-incineration with energy recovery, a description of their energy efficiency
- Description of the measures taken to ensure compliance with the treatment obligations
When applying for a permit for an authorisation of a landfill project additional documents must be enclosed: see Stationary Waste Treatment Facilities – Authorisation
Costs and fees
Costs depend on the various ordinances on levies and fees. Please ask the competent body in advance.
No expert information is available.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology