Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases - Certification of Companies
table of content
According to Article 10 of Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 on Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases, certain activities related to facilities containing Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases ("F-gases") may only be carried out by companies with sufficiently qualified personnel, and having sufficient work equipment available. This includes the following activities:
- Installation, maintenance, servicing, repair or decommissioning of
a) Stationary refrigeration systems
b) Stationary air conditioners
c) Stationary heat pumps
d) Stationary fire protection equipment
e) Mobile refrigeration systems in refrigerated trucks and trailers
f) electrical switchgears
- Leakage checks of installations under items 1 (a) – (e) above
- Recovery of F-gases in accordance with article 8 paragraph 1 of Regulation (EU) No 517/2014.
For this purpose, any company intending to perform the above-mentioned activities in accordance with items 1 (a) – (d) applies for the issuance of a company certificate at the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology.
Both, personal and company certificates issued in other Member States in accordance with the requirements of Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 are recognized as equivalent qualification as certificates issued in Austria.
These regulations apply to all natural and legal persons who place, make available on the market or use the chemicals in question in Austria.
Companies that carry out activities with Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases must ensure that these activities are carried out by sufficiently qualified personnel, and that all necessary tools and equipment are available to the certified personnel.
Each affected company (see above) must have a company certificate before beginning the above-mentioned activities. In the case of a start-up of such an undertaking and, or before the start of the activities for which a certificate is required, the undertaking must immediately apply for certification providing the necessary documents.
Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology, Dept. V/5 - Chemical Policy and Biocides.
→ The application form for certification of a company, available on the Website of the Austrian Chamber of CommerceGerman text (Bundesinnung der Mechatroniker), has to be completed and submitted by e-mail to the abovementioned office of the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology. Copies of the existing personal certificates must be attached to the application.
- Submission of the application form and supplementary information by e-mail or letter to the Federal Ministry for Sustainability and Tourism.
- a) If the prerequisites for certification are fulfilled, the Federal Ministry for Sustainability and Tourism issues a certificate for the undertaking.
b) If the prerequisites for certification are not fulfilled, the Federal Ministry for Sustainability and Tourism issues an assessment notice. The undertaking concerned has the right to appeal to the Landesverwaltungsgericht Wien.
An application must include the following information:
- Annual average of the number of persons employed by the undertaking in the regulated field
- Number and names of certified persons employed by the undertaking, including copies of their personal certificates
- A written declaration by the representative of the undertaking that the undertaking employs sufficient personal to cover all expected activities
- Record of equipment and facilities built and maintained in the previous year
The costs of EUR 6.50 are based on section 78 (1) and (2) of the General Administrative Procedures Act 1991 - AVG, Federal Law Gazette No. 50/1991 as amended in conjunction with tariff A (2) of the Federal Tax Ordinance 1983, Federal Gazette No. 24/1983 as amended.
A company certificate does not constitute an approval of operations under the commercial law! It only requires companies carrying out activities with Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases to employ appropriately qualified personal and to obtain a certificate in accordance with EU obligations (see above). The objective of these qualification and certification provisions is to reduce or prevent emissions of F-gases to the atmosphere.
- Fluorinated Greenhoue Gases Act 2009German text Fed. Law Gaz. I No. 103/2009 as amended.
- Regulation (EU) No. 517/2014 on Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases
The application formGerman text is available on the WKO Website.
responsible for content: Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology