Representation of interests
Current information about workforce representation, employer representation, etc.
Information for newcomers
In Austria, workers' interests are represented by:
- the Chamber of Labour (compulsory membership by law);
- the Austrian Trade Union Federation (voluntary membership);
- their works council (within the company itself).
The interests of businesses and professionals are represented by:
- the chambers of commerce and other chambers (compulsory membership by law);
- associations and organisations, e.g. the Federation of Austrian Industries (voluntary membership).
These rules apply to all business proprietors established in Austria and citizens with employment contracts subject to Austrian law.
The Austrian Social Partnership is a voluntary cooperation initiative between the main employers' and employees' associations and between these associations and the federal government. It comprises four associations at national level:
- the Austrian Trade Union Federation (→ ÖGB)
- the Austrian Federal Chamber of Labour (→ BAK)German text
- the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber (→ WKO)
- the Austrian Federal Chamber of Agriculture (→ LKÖ)German text
responsible for content: Federal Ministry of Labour, Family and Youth