End-of-Waste Status for Waste Fuel Products
table of content
Waste fuels are wastes
- that are used in their entirety or to a relevant extent for the purpose of energy generation and
- that fulfil the requirements of Annex 8 of the Waste Incineration Ordinance (Abfallverbrennungsverordnung).
For waste fuels of a quality equivalent to that of conventional fuels (quality requirements see annex 9 Abfallverbrennungsverordnung), the end of waste (Abfallende) can be declared. In this case an assessment report (Beurteilungsnachweis) has to be prepared and to be transmitted to the Federal Minister for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology. Also required is an entry in an electronic waste balance sheet (Abfallbilanz) to the documentation in a product storage facility.
If the following requirements are satisfied, the end-of-waste status is reached with the declaration:
- The end-of-waste status for waste fuels is tied to a designated use.
- Waste fuel products may only be incinerated in installations with a nominal heat output of 50 kW or more which comply with a dust limit of 20 mg/m3.
The designated use of waste fuel products is regarded as an appropriate risk management measure according to REACH.
Waste owners declaring the end of waste have to inform the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology annually about
- the type and the quantity of the waste fuel product,
- the changes in respect of the planned acceptors of the past year and those intended for the future, as well as about
- the results of an external control.
Waste owners wishing to declare the end-of-waste status of waste fuels.
See "General Information".
For the end of waste of a waste fuel product an assessment report has to be submitted to the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology.
An annual notification has to be sent to the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology by April 10th of the subsequent year.
Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology (Department V/3) (→ BMK)
Address: Stubenbastei 5, 1010 Vienna
The waste owner prepares an assessment report and sends it to the competent authority.
The same procedure applies to the annual notification.
- Assessment report
- Annual notification
Costs and fees
No tariffs or duties have to be paid.
- Abfallverbrennungsverordnung (AVV)
- Section 5 of the Abfallwirtschaftsgesetz 2002 (AWG 2002)
No expert information is available.
Link to form
Model forms for assessment reportsGerman text are available on the website of the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology.
For the annual end-of-waste notification, no form is available at the moment.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology