Architects (EU/EEA countries/Switzerland) – Service providers

General information

EU/EEA nationals who are licensed to practice as an architect in their home countries may, under certain conditions, be entiteled to provide temporary and occasional services regulated by section 2 ZTG in Austria if there are no reasons for exclusion regulated by section 4 paragraph 3 ZTG.

Please note

Swiss nationals and EU/ EEA nationals are deemed to be equivalent concerning licensing to practice their professions.


  • EU/EEA or Swiss nationality;
  • an establishment in another EU/EEA member state or in Switzerland;
  • the service provider must have been licensed to work as an architect or chartered engineering consultant in her/his home country. If the profession is not regulated in the host country, the requesting party has to provide proof, that he/she praticed in the profession for at least one year during the last ten years;
  • Certificate, that the education corresponds with Annex V, 5.7.1 of Directive 2005/36/EG on the recognition of professional qualifications;

The service provider has to inform the service recipient when concluding the contract about:

  • His/her registration number from the competent authority of his home member state;
  • Name and address of the competent authority;
  • Name of the professional chamber or comparable organisation where she/he is registered;
  • Occupational titel or certificate of qualification;
  • The purchase tax identification number;
  • Details about the coverage of his/ her professional liability insurance.


No special deadlines need to be observed.

Competent authority

Registration with the Chamber of Civil Engineers is not required.


A registration at the competent authority is not necessary.

Further information

Information for architects ( zt)German text

Legal bases

Sections 2, 4, 31 of the Ziviltechnikergesetz (ZTG)

Last update: 12 January 2024

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Labour and Economy