Civil engineers – License for firms

General information

Civil engineers may, for the sole purpose of exercising their profession on a permanent basis, form any private company or corporate entity which can be registered in the Austrian commercial register under Austrian law with special authorisation by the competent authority.


  • Civil engineers with powers of management and representation who are partners/shareholders and/or members of the board must cover all aspects of the firm's licence by the powers they actually exercise.
  • The articles of association must comply with the provisions of the Ziviltechnikergesetz (ZTG).


No special deadlines need to be observed.

Competent authority


The request may be submitted personally, in writing or by e-mail to the competent authority.

Required documents

  • Articles of association (notarial deed)
  • Decision on licensing chartered engineering consultants with powers of management and representation
  • Sworn declaration that no grounds for disqualification exist

Costs and fees

  • Request:
    • EUR 47.30 federal fee;
    • attachment: EUR 3.90 per sheet.
  • Official decision:
    • EUR 83.60 federal fee;
    • EUR 98 federal administrative levy.

Please note

Fees or taxes become due once the procedure is settled. For this purpose a payment form will be mailed to the party concerned.

Legal bases

Sections 23 to 30 and following of the Ziviltechnikergesetz (ZTG)

Link to form

Civil engineering professions – firms – licensingGerman text

Last update: 12 January 2024

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Labour and Economy