This website uses Cookies. You will accept these by click on the button "continue". For more information read our page "Private Policy".

Chartered Engineering Consultants (EU/EEA Countries/Switzerland) – Establishment

General Information

Nationals from the EU, the EEA or the Swiss Confederation may be licensed to work as chartered engineering consultants under the right of establishment.


Equivalence of the indicated professional training to qualify for work under the Ziviltechnikergesetz 2019 (ZTG 2019), as well as absence of grounds for disqualification such as: lack of legal capacity, salaried employment in the public sector, bankruptcy or lack of reliability.


No special deadlines need to be observed.

Competent Authority


The request may be submitted personally, in writing or by e-mail to the competent authority.

Documents Required

  • Proof of nationality;
  • Certificate of qualification of the home member state which entitles the party concerned to take up work as a free-lance chartered engineering consultant;
  • Certificates of the competent authority of the home member state (no more than three months old) stating that the requesting party
    • is reliable;
    • has not been declared bankrupt;
    • complies with the code of conduct of his/her profession.


  • Request:
    • EUR 47.30 federal fee
    • attachment: EUR 3.90 per sheet
  • Official decision:
    • EUR 83.60 federal fee
    • EUR 98 federal administrative levy

Additional Information

Engineering consultant branch (→ zt)German text

Legal Basis

Sections 4, 10, 32 paragraph 4 of the Ziviltechnikergesetz (ZTG)

Expert Information

There is no expert information available.

To Form

last update: 18 January 2021

responsible for content: Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs